So, I got this email today from Groupon claiming today is Earth's 400 birthday. Groupon is known for their humor, but how (and why) did they pick today as Earth's 400th birthday?
"Earth Day" is actually celebrated on April 22nd, and the first official "Earth Day" was just celebrated in 1970, a mere 42 years ago. Scientists believe Earth is around 4.54 billion years old. Religious folks believe Earth was created by God about 6,000 years ago. And as far as I know, the only notable even in April of 1612 was the execution of Edward Wightman, the last man to be burned alive for heresy.
So, where did Groupon come up with this number? In a recent tweet, they said, "We got our facts from NASA, Apollo 16 sang "How Old Are You Now" and Earth responded with 360".
I was not aware of any singing aboard Apollo 16. But if they were, why would Earth respond with 360. Because the Earth is round, i.e. 360 degrees?
Wikipedia has even latched onto Groupon's humorous claim that Earth is 400 years old, noting it as the only event on April 18th in the 1612 page. I'd say Groupon did well today.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades